Welcome to the Norton Complete Streets Home Page!
The Town of Norton is participating in the MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program to make Complete Streets a part of daily practice. Complete Streets are roadways that safely and comfortably accommodate all users, regardless of age and ability or mode of transportation. Through the 2017 DLTA program, SRPEDD assisted the town with the development and adoption of a Complete Streets Policy that directs all town departments to consider Complete Streets design elements in all projects and phases going forward. Now, SRPEDD is helping the town develop a Complete Streets Prioritization Plan (list of projects) that will ultimately be used to apply for funding from MassDOT to begin the construction of projects on the plan. Additional information about the MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program and all project presentations, information, and resources can be found in the document library of this webpage.
How to Participate and Stay Involved
The Norton Department of Planning & Economic Development provides an abundance of information about the project and regularly maintains social media correspondence (Facebook, Twitter, and blog). In addition, you may share your ideas directly by emailing the Town Planner.
This page also contains a Public Engagement Map where interested residents, business owners, or others can upload pictures of areas in town that need better accommodations or have issues that need to be addressed. The information uploaded to this map will help guide SRPEDD’s evaluation of the town and may result in projects that address the identified issues.
Continue reading below to learn more about the MassDOT Complete Streets Program, the Norton Complete Streets Policy, and the current project.
For more information, please review our project pages and/or contact Jed Cornock at 508.824.1367 x318.
MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program
The MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program was launched in February 2016 to provide technical assistance and construction funding to communities that demonstrate a commitment to include Complete Streets in policy and practice. In short, a community may be eligible for up to $400,000 in construction funding to implement Complete Streets elements in municipal projects and up to $50,000 in technical assistance funding in order to develop a plan to do so. The program is divided into three (3) “tiers” and a municipality must satisfy the requirements of the previous tier in order to advance through the program.
Tier 1 - Training & Policy Adoption
- Attendance at either an "Introductory" or "Advanced" Complete Streets Training (must be a municipal official/employee)
- Development and local adoption of a Complete Streets policy. Followed by submission to MassDOT for approval.
Tier 2 - Prioritization Plan Development
- Determination of Complete Streets needs and development of a prioritized list of infrastructure projects. Technical assistance available (up to $50,000 to develop the plan).
Tier 3 - Project Construction Funding
- Application for construction funding to implement the Complete Streets infrastructure projects on the Prioritization Plan.
Norton has contracted with SRPEDD to complete the town’s Prioritization Plan (Tier 2). This project is expected to last until the early Summer of 2018.
Norton Public Engagement Map
Help us build a better Norton! This map allows you to share images, locations and comments where you feel bike, pedestraian and vehicle road issues exist, and where improvements should be made. Click "Explore Map" to see what has been shared so far. Click "Share an Image!" to capture an image with your phone or other device.
Please note that these images are for the Norton Complete Streets Project, and may be used in Project materials. Images are for long-term planning purposes. We ask that you try not to share personal identifiable information.
Image Credit: Complete Streets - Omaha, NE
Another Option to Participate (No Picture Required)!
We have 30 responses so far!! Keep the issues and suggestions coming!
Document Library (new files are posted as they become available)
The following documents provide background for the Norton Complete Streets. Please click on a link and be sure to follow the instructions should the file be large.
MassDOT Complete Streets Funding Program
Norton Complete Streets Program
Complete Streets Working Group Kick-Off Meeting (January 25, 2018)
Complete Streets Working Group Existing Conditions Evaluation Meeting (TBD)
- Existing Conditions Evaluation Presentation
- Existing Conditions Evaluation Handouts
Complete Streets Working Group Project Review & Selection Meeting (TBD)
- Project Review & Selection Presentation
- Project Review & Selection Handouts
Plans and Reports
- Norton Master Plan (1998; 83 MB, please allow sufficient time to download)
- Norton Subdivision Rules and Regulations (1998)
- Norton Open Space and Recreation Plan (update ongoing)
- Norton Zoning Bylaws
- Norton Land Use
- Norton Zoning (Coming soon!)
- Norton Open Space & Protected Land (Coming soon!)
- Norton Roadway Network by Jurisdiction
- Norton Roadway Network by Functional Classification
- Norton Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Transit Network